Monday, January 11, 2016

Modern Tennis?

I always find it very entertaining with a laugh under my breath when I hear coaches talk about the modern way to play tennis. I always ask myself the same question, how much has the game of tennis really changed? To be more specific, How much have the principles of tennis changed over the years?

Imagine you woke up this morning, turned the television on and heard the breaking news (I suppose in this day and age, you would get it in your Facebook feed), that the governing body of tennis, the International Tennis Federation, had changed the dimensions of the tennis court, adjusting not only the lines and court dimensions, but the official net height. This would constitute a sit down and rethink how tennis is played and taught, a modern way of tennis. Or suppose the International Tennis Federation changed their name to the Inter-galactic Tennis Federation with tennis only permitted to be played on the moon or planets where there is no gravity. This too would bring about changes to the way tennis is played and therefore the way tat the game needs to be taught. That to me is the Modern game of tennis!

I have come across this so many times with so many parents being convinced by some coach that their son or daughter needs to train with them to learn how to play the game of the pro's and modern methods. Unfortunately I have so often seen these coaches ruin a very good natural talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment